Saturday, June 23, 2007

The Trek

Aaron and I are getting ready to spend what we have of a summer vacation on a Trek. What this means is that we are going to get on school buses with over a hundred youth (14-18 year old) from our church, and ride 5-6 hours to Wyoming. We will stop at Martin's Cove, WY where we'll be assigned handcart's to load with our possessions and trek with across several windy miles. We'll do this repeatedly for 3 days, then get on the school buses to come home. But this is more than just an intensive reality-based vacation. This is an opportunity for us to experience - a very dilute bit of what Early Mormon Pioneers went through to live the things they believed. I think that there is great power in living a life with such integrity that you would walk away from all that you've known to pursue what you have found to be true. We live in a world if pioneers - I think that we often leer at those who pursue paths that differ than our own. Perhaps some are lost and take the paths that open to them - but many follow a light that has revealed itself to them. I think that we each have gifts, talents, temperaments that open certain paths to us. I stand in awe of the passion and faith of many who I know. While I admire these great people and grow from their strengths my own path is unique. I look forward to this Trek and the insight which I hope to glean from my own thoughts and experience. I anticipate that it will be a very worthwhile use of my summer's vacation.

2 comments:

Dory said...

Wow! Do update us on how the trek went. I am curious as to the outcome of your adventure. Love you lots!

chicklegirl said...

Yes, I want to see some pictures and hear more!

Oh, and I just gave you an award, so check out my blog: Hot hot hot