Monday, June 4, 2007

Fundamental Truth

I've been reading my sister's blog for a while and each time I've felt that I ought to create my own. I have been experiencing a personal renaissance for several months now. A great part of which is being present. In other words - I am striving to be with the feelings I feel and act on the impulses that arise. So I am sending a bit of myself into cyber space. I stand each moment at the gate of the eternities, arms raised and open to embrace what lay before me. I look foward to sharing the experience and my thoughts thereon.

The Invitation
by Oriah Mountain Dreamer

It doesn't interest me what you do for a living. I want to know what you ache for, and if you dare to dream of meeting your heart's longing.
It doesn't interest me how old you are. I want to know if you will risk looking like a fool for love, for your dream, for the adventure of being alive.
It doesn't interest me what planets are squaring your moon. I want to know if you have touched the center of your own sorrow, if you have been opened by life's betrayals or have become shriveled and closed from fear of further pain!I want to know if you can sit with pain, mine or your own, without moving to hide it or fade it, or fix it.
I want to know if you can be with joy, mine or your own, if you can dance with wildness and let the ecstasy fill you to the tips of your fingers and toes without cautioning us to be careful, to be realistic, to remember the limitations of being human.
It doesn't interest me if the story you are telling me is true. I want to know if you can disappoint another to be true to yourself; if you can bear the accusation of betrayal and not betray your own soul; if you can be faithlessand therefore trustworthy.
I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.
I want to know if you can live with failure, yours and mine, and still stand on the edge of the lake and shout to the silver of the full moon, “Yes!”
It doesn't interest me to know where you live or how much money you have. I want to know if you can get up, after the night of grief and despair, weary and bruised to the bone, and do what needs to be done to feed the children.
It doesn't interest me who you know or how you came to be here. I want to know if you will stand in the center of the fire with me and not shrink back.
It doesn't interest me where or what or with whom you have studied. I want to know what sustains you, from the inside, when all else falls away.
I want to know if you can be alone with yourself and if you truly like the company you keep in the empty moments.

- by Oriah Mountain Dreamercopyright © 1999 by Oriah Mountain Dreamer.

5 comments:

P said...

Hi Ruthie, welcome to the blogsphere. looking forward to your thoughts... Horray!
P.S. I added your blog to mine, hope that's ok...

chicklegirl said...

Hey, chica! I love the quote; really powerful. I'm so excited that you're blogging and I look forward to all your thoughts! XXOO

chckkysmile said...

You are aware that I'm hip to blogs too, right?
Check me out sista!!!

Dory said...

hey, this is so beautiful. Thanks for sharing it. I love you and miss you. hope you'll check out my blog, too. I am hoping that it will help us to stay closer in spirit. LOVE YOU!!

wearymomof7 said...

RUTH! Hey where have you been? I have left many messages on your phellatone. Tannon is getting married and I want to send you the cute pic of them...last time I talked to you, you were thinking of moving, Have you? I need your current address. Email me, K?